Preservation in Our Area
Historic preservation is a key part of the mission of the Alliance Area Preservation Society. We work to encourage the preservation of properties throughout our community. The Society maintains a small library of preservation literature at the Haines House and has presented the Ohio History Connection's Building Doctors program in Alliance.
The Building Doctors in Alliance
September 15 & 16
The Ohio History Connection's State Historic Preservation Office, the City of Alliance Historic Preservation Commission, the Alliance Area Preservation Society and the Alliance Historical Society will sponsor a Building Doctor Clinic for old-building owners in Alliance, Ohio on September 15 and 16, 2016. The clinic features Building Doctors Nathan Bevil and Rachel Krause of the Ohio History Connection's State Historic Preservation Office. It begins with a free seminar on Thursday evening, September 15, from 7-9 p.m. at the Rodman Public Library at 215 East Broadway in Alliance.
The seminar is open to the public and will feature guidelines for renovation projects and ways to solve some of the most common problems of buildings dating from 1800 to 1955. On Friday, September 16 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., the Building Doctors will visit pre-1955 buildings within five miles of Alliance, advising owners on specific technical problems by appointment. The "doctors" examine all kinds of older buildings. Some of the things that typically call for an on-site examination include persistent peeling paint or flaking plaster, a wet basement or deteriorating masonry and plans for additions.
Nathan Bevil, Community Planning & Preservation Manager for the Ohio History Connection's State Historic Preservation Office, holds a bachelor's degree in history and historic preservation from Mary Washington College and a Master of Historic Preservation degree from the University of Georgia. He administers the Certified Local Government program, manages the Building Doctor program, guided the development of the State Historic Preservation Plan and provides technical assistance to communities on local historic preservation matters. Rachel Krause is Technical Preservation Services Manager for the Ohio History Connection's State Historic Preservation Office. She holds an associate degree from Belmont Technical College's Building Preservation and Restoration program, a Bachelor of Science degree in Urban Studies and a certificate in historic preservation from the University of Cincinnati. She reviews applications for federal and state rehabilitation tax credits.
The seminar and on-site consultations with the Building Doctors are free with advance registration. To register, visit www.building-doctor.org or call 800.499.2470 or 614.298.2000. You can also contact Martha McClaugherty at 330.821.6020.
The Building Doctor program is made possible in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior's Historic Preservation Fund, administered by the Ohio History Connection's State Historic Preservation Office. Each clinic is also made possible by support from local cosponsors.
Preservation Resource Links
National Trust for Historic Preservation - http://www.preservationnation.org/
Ohio History Connection's Building Doctors - http://www.ohiohistory.org/state-historic-preservation-office/building-doctor
Preservation Ohio - http://preserveohio.com/
Heritage Ohio - http://www.heritageohio.org/
Cleveland Restoration Society's Preservation Toolbox - http://www.clevelandrestoration.org/resources/preservation_toolbox.php
The Preservation Society recognizes the work of people throughout the community in their efforts to preserve local historic buildings through our annual Preservation Awards. Nominations are accepted in the early summer and voted on by the community during Carnation Festival Week at the Haines House. Past recipients are listed below.
Alliance Preservation Awards:
The Alliance Area Preservation Society's Preservation Award honors noteworthy preservation projects in the greater Alliance area. These awards are an opportunity for the Society to recognize the efforts of property owners and the often heroic work they perform in preserving the historic and architectural resources in our area. The awards also encourage historic preservation and acknowledge that good preservation can be found in the restoration of the most modest residence to the grandest mansion. Award categories are as follows:
Private Residence: Structures owned by an individual or a family and used primarily as a residence.
Commercial Property: All types of commercial properties, including rental, industrial, and retail.
Civic Property: Property owned and used by a civic organization uses such as a church, or non-profit group or government.
Any individual business, or organization seeking to maintain the architectural heritage of Alliance may apply.
2010 Preservation Award Recipients:
740 South Union, built 1905
Constructed of unique orange glazed French brick, this Queen Anne style beauty was associated with the Clarence O. Scranton Company, a plumbing, heating and building supply company. It features subtle texture contrasts between the brick, stone trim, wood shingled gables and ironwork.
355 East Columbia, built 1907
This was originally the home of Irish Catholic immigrant, John C. Devine and his wife, Mary. Devine was a well-established contractor and engineer in the Ohio /PA area who was responsible for erecting many fine buildings and paving the streets of Alliance. He was also postmaster from 1892-1896. His home was built in the imposing Richardsonian Romanesque style with the characteristic rounded (Romanesque) arches featured in the six bay porch of rock faced ashlar sandstone. The steep clay tile roof has three large dormers with ornamental stonework and leaded glass windows.
239 East Market, built c. 1872
Originally the James and Emma Craven home it became the home of the YWCA in 1926. Craven, a Civil War veteran, was a businessman who operated a building supply warehouse adjacent to his home. The red brick Italian villa style house has prominent arched windows with hooded moldings, an intricate cornice and a tower entrance. A meeting room, known as Haggart Hall, was added in 1939.
346 East Main, built 1925
Originally built as the S.S. Kresge Department Store and later the Jupiter Discount Store, it is now the home of the Alliance for Music and Arts, a venue for live music and a gallery for local visual art displays. Constructed of variegated light colored brick with limestone trim in the popular Neoclassical commercial style of the 1920’s. Notice the classical details (Greek urns and vases between groups of pilasters) on the second floor.
2011 Preservation Award Recipients:
59 West Ely
This Italianate style brick home has been lovingly restored by the current owners who inherited the house. It is unique for having many of its original segmental arched windows, original double front door and screen door and many interior features intact. Notice also the lovely Eastlake style wraparound porch.
Alliance Post Office
36 South Arch Street, built 1916
Perhaps the most architecturally significant public building in the City of Alliance, this imposing sandstone edifice is in the prevailing Neoclassical style of government buildings in the early 20th century. Designed to recall ancient Greek and Roman temples, the implication was one of stability and power.
2012 Preservation Award Recipeints:
Conrad Lodge No. 271
144 S. Linden, built 1915-1917
This red brick Georgian Revival style building was built during WWI and dedicated with a parade, a dinner and “Grand Ball” on New Year’s Day 1918. Contrasting limestone trim is used with the brick to create classically inspired windows, corner quoins, a denticulated cornice and a pediment roof.
3001 South Union
built c. 1865
This mid 19th century home was probably a farmhouse just outside the Village of Mount Union. Notably situated on a small hill overlooking Silver Park, it has been lovingly restored. A bracketed overhanging cornice, spiral corner guards and a large wraparound porch with braces have been painted in three contrasting colors for optimum affect.
2013 Preservation Award Recipients:
The Alliance Women’s Club
229 South Union, built 1907
Originally the home of Walter Webb Sr. and his wife Katharine, it became the Alliance Women’s Club in 1923. A two story frame Colonial Revival style portico is the main architectural feature of this white-painted brick which also has a variety of beveled glass and leaded windows. A large one story meeting room, called the Georgian Room, was added to the back (west) in 1931.
419 South Union
built c. 1887
Italianate houses such as this one were common in Alliance during the late 19th century but few have survived relatively intact. Of special interest is the bracketed square columned wraparound porch and double front doors. Possibly a cupola surmounted the roof at one time. This was originally the home of Frank Rastetter.
2014 Preservation Award Recipients:
3285 South Union, built 1850
Located south of the original town of Mount Union, the most outstanding feature of this large house is the full length porch with Doric columns across the front, probably an early 20th century "update" to the original farmhouse that was built by Amos and Esther Brosius. The property has been an apple orchard and a horse farm. A large bank barn, built in 1904 remains along with the summer kitchen, an outhouse and the chimney of a log cabin.
Methodist Church -
470 East Broadway, built 1896
Known as "The Church on the Hill," the former First Methodist Episcopal Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Constructed of sandstone and brick in the soaring Victorian Gothic Style, it dominates the downtown skyline with its towers, multiple rooflines and revolving illuminated cross. The congregation continues to meet the challenge of maintaining and preserving this unique Alliance treasure.